Friday, February 3, 2017

Testing, Testing,....1..2..3...

Sheesh! There's a lot of dust on this blog! Just let me wipe it off.....

Hey there! So much has happened in the last couple of years. Froody and I now live in Seattle. I'm retired. And I have two new rats, Pork Chop and Pot Pie, helping me with today's blog. (Actually, they're sitting on my shoulders eating peas and leaving the pea-shells on my sweater.)

Well, Froody and I are about to embark on another great trip-- 2-3 months in South America! After much research on my part and discussion on our part, we chose to spend much of our time in Bolivia and Colombia, mainly because they seem to be off the beaten path, with emerging tourism industries. Later, we decided to add a quick visit to Peru, because, after all, it was right there. Other than that, we're trying to be pretty open about which sights we'll see. There are a few things that are definite.

1) Taking the bus to travel from Lima (where we land) to Cusco to La Paz. I like the idea behind PeruHop: a get on/get off bus, complete with guide, especially when we cross the border into Bolivia. For one ticket price, we travel from town to town with the option to stay overnight (or several nights) then catch the bus and continue on our way.

2) Machu Picchu. Oh, I'm really looking forward to spending the day at Machu Picchu. We're not taking a trek to the site. Instead, we're taking the train to Aguas Calientes then the bus to Machu Picchu. Looks like you need to purchase your tickets in advance, because they don't sell entry tickets at the site.

3) Taking a Spanish class in Sucre, Bolivia. Basically, I wanted us to stay put during Holy Week (Semana Santa) and not worry about possible changes to bus schedules, opening times, getting a room, etc. So, I thought it would be a great chance for us to continue learning Spanish with an actual teacher and stay with a local family. (I chose this one. Apparently, there are many good schools here.) Sucre seems like a beautiful city, with many language schools and cultural activities, plus very active during Semana Santa. Having locals and a teacher right there to explain the significance behind the events of the week is a big bonus.

4) Visiting the Salar de Uyuni. The pictures of this place are amazing. It just seems unreal, desolate, beautiful. And yet, birds, animals, and people call this place home.

5) Bogota. Well, I know we're going to fly to Colombia from Bolivia, and that means landing in Bogota. And, Bogota, like a lot of large South American cities, is a haven of wonderful things to eat!


So, you know about as much about our trip as I do now. Stay tuned, because I do plan on updating this blog regularly with pictures and observations of our South American adventures!














No comments: